State Programme Lead, Maharashtra
iFOREST is inviting applications from experienced professionals for the position of State Programme Lead, Maharashtra. The candidate will specifically lead the organizations Maharashtra programme on Just Transition. S/he will also be required to contribute towards other initiatives of iFOREST in the state to build the organization’s profile and engagement.
This is a leadership position. The successful candidate should have demonstrated leadership capacity, and should have experience in conducting research, stakeholder engagement and team management.
Location: The position will be based in Maharashtra. The candidate may be stationed in any of the following cities- Mumbai, Pune or Nagpur, considering the focus of the programme and engagement with various stakeholders.
Working arrangement: Hybrid
About iFOREST and Just Transition initiative
iFOREST, is an independent non-profit environmental research and innovation organisation. Started by a group of renowned scientists and environmentalists, it seeks to find, promote and scale-up solutions for some of the most pressing environment–development challenges.
Just Transition is a core initiative of iFOREST, complementing our work on energy and climate change. The initiative is designed to support achieving the Paris Agreement goals and an accelerated climate change action that is socially responsible, equitable, and economically viable. In 2021, India’s first comprehensive platform to work on just transition—India Just Transition Centre (IJTC)— was launched by iFOREST. The Centre endeavors to build the just transition discourse in India, and enhance its understanding from the perspective of the global South.
Our work is based on a multipronged approach, including research, policy engagement, public outreach, technical support and capacity building, and building alliances. Our engagement spans across sub-national, national and international levels, and involves a range of stakeholders. The team had published some of the most seminal works on just transition in the context of India’s fossil fuel economy and regions.
About the Role
The successful candidate will be the key person to lead the organization’s work and engagement in Maharashtra. S/he will lead the work on just transition, and contribute to other initiatives in the state.
S/be will have the following key responsibilities:
- Undertake qualitative and quantitative research, including contributing to research design.
- Lead and conduct in-depth primary and secondary research.
- Guide junior team members.
- Prepare high quality reports, policy papers, articles and other forms of communication materials suitable for policy and public engagement.
- Engage with the state government periodically, and respond to policy developments in the state in a timely manner.
- Engage with leading business and financial institutions, as required for research, engagement, and dissemination of research outputs.
- Engage with other stakeholders ( philanthropic organizations, NGOs, media etc.) for building networks and sustaining relationships.
- Manage and organize physical and virtual workshops/seminars/meetings as per requirement.
- Represent the organization at public events and media platforms.
- Contribute to the design and development of programmes, including support in the writing of new proposals.
- Any other related assignments may be entrusted by the reporting authority.
Qualification and Work Experience
- Candidates must have a background in engineering (BTech) along with a Masters in Public Policy/Economics/Business Administration (MBA), or related disciplines.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Experience of research in public policy, socio-economic research.
- Experience of undertaking primary surveys.
- Ability to comprehend interdisciplinary matters.
- Excellent writing skills, with a proven track record.
- Excellent communication skills, and ability to engage with government officials, ministries/agencies, industries and businesses, etc.
- Willing to travel, including in remote areas.
- Remain flexible to work around stiff deadlines.
Competitive salary as per candidate’s experience and proficiency. Final designation of successful candidate will be based on qualification and experience.
Application deadline & instructions
Please send your applications by December 28, 2022. Position open until filled.
We prefer the candidate to submit an online application at https://iforest.global/careers/. In case of any difficulty, you may also send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be accompanied by a CV and a Cover Letter.
Applications must be accompanied by a CV; a Cover Letter (no more than 500 words) and list of referees (at least 2) with contact details. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.