Research Associate, Clean Energy
The International Forum for Environment, Sustainability & Technology (iFOREST), is looking for an experienced and dynamic professional to lead the organisation’s research and policy engagement in the Clean Energy Programme.
A successful applicant must have a proven aptitude for analytical research and multi-stakeholder engagement, knowledge of India’s clean energy sector, and excellent communication skills.
Location: Noida, India
Required Experience: 1-2 years
Education: Master’s Degree (preferred)
Length of commitment: 3 years+
Reporting to: Programme Director, Clean Energy
iFOREST is an independent not-for-profit research and innovation organisation that was established in 2019 to identify, promote and scale up solutions for pressing environment-development challenges in India and other developing countries in Asia and Africa.
Our work is rooted in regional priorities to accelerate environmental actions at the sub-national level and to improve national policies and plans to support it. Our mission is to address the unique needs of regions by leveraging our resources and expertise to scale up national action and make a global impact. We use our regional knowledge to inform national policy and plans and strengthen international collaboration.
To achieve our goals, we conduct independent evidence-based research, develop new knowledge and innovative solutions, convene stakeholders to increase awareness and build consensus, and partner with think tanks, civil society, government agencies, philanthropies and industry to scale up solutions.
The Clean Energy Programme
The Clean Energy programme of iFOREST focuses on the issue of growing regional imbalance in India’s renewable energy (RE) expansion. Given that the installed capacity of RE is mainly focused in the southern and western states, the Clean Energy programme seeks to catalyse inclusive green energy transitions in the eastern and north-eastern states. The programme aims to support the development of RE, including distributed RE, in ‘low-RE’ states to meet the 500 GW target by 2030.
To achieve this objective, iFOREST works closely with implementors, regulators and policymakers at the state level, industry representatives, and civil society/ research organisations. The work cuts across independent research, structured engagement and implementation support initiatives.
The research associate will be responsible for supporting the execution of research and engagement outputs pertaining to the Clean Energy Programme. This would entail dedicated support for developing a data web-portal dedicated to clean energy in eastern region, as well as support execution of impactful research and multi-stakeholder engagement to enable the growth of RE resources in eastern region states.
Specific tasks to be undertaken by the research associate would include:
Support web-portal development and newsletter focused on RE in eastern region.
- Build database
- visualization tools
- regular upate
Eastern region newsletter
- Support and execute the research and engagement initiatives of the Clean Energy Programme.
- Support ongoing primary and secondary research, including quantitative and qualitative assessments.
- Remain updated with the latest tools and techniques for executing qualitative and quantitative research.
- Write research documents, including analytical reports and policy papers based on evidence.
- Mentor young researchers in in the team in executing research assignments.
- Build and leverage relationships to conduct roundtables, convenings, and report release meetings with government, industry, civil society, media, etc.
- Stay updated with the latest developments and debates in the clean energy sector.
- Execute any other related assignments that may arise in relation to the aforementioned tasks or for the further enhancement of the Clean Energy programme.
Qualification & Work Experience
Master’s degree (minimum) from a recognised institution in a relevant field, including management, economics, public policy, energy policy, renewable energy technology etc.
8 to 10 years of of work experience in research, consulting or advisory-related fields, focusing specifically on renewable energy sector.
In line with the listed responsibilities for the successful candidate, she/he is expected to have the following competencies:
Comprehensive understanding of India’s clean energy sector.
- Deep knowledge of India’s energy policies, programmes, regulations and initiatives at the national and sub-national levels.
- Informed about ongoing discussions around clean energy and climate change at the international and national levels.
- Technical knowledge of the power sector is preferred.
Proficiency in research and writing.
- Authored at least two research publications related to clean energy in the last five years.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct qualitative and quantitative methods of research, utilising software such as Excel, R and QGIS.
- Experience in managing research teams, including building research methodologies and organising structured data collection.
Proficiency in structured multi-stakeholder engagement.
- Capacity to lead presentations and convene discussions to put forward institutional perspectives and research findings.
- Demonstrated ability to build connections and engage with a diverse group of people on research and policy issues on multiple platforms.
- A pre-existing network of stakeholders in the clean energy sector.
Flexibility to take up a supporting role.
- Confident, collegial, and passionate about clean energy growth in India, as well as in eastern region states.
- Clear understanding and appreciation of the role of think tanks in shaping policies and programmes.
- Ability to manage time and priorities, and ensure the completion of research in keeping with tight policy windows.
- Motivated to build the programme’s profile, drawing on institutional priorities and emerging issues in the sector.
- Excellent organisation skills to manage multiple assignments.
- Willingness to travel as per requirement.
What we offer
At iFOREST, we offer an inclusive and amicable work environment. In addition, our institution strongly supports professional development through education, training and capacity building.
We offer highly competitive salaries in a think tank space, and reward performance through annual appraisals. The final designation of a successful candidate will be based on qualifications and experience.
Application instructions & deadline
Applications must include a CV and cover letter. Please ensure that the cover letter is no more than 500 words and clearly describes your suitability for the described position and your motivation to join iFOREST. CVs without a cover letter will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Position open until filled.