Programme Associate, Just Transition (Land, Policy and Governance)
iFOREST is inviting applications for the position of a Senior Research Associate for the organization’s flagship initiative on Just Transition. The candidate will specifically work on issues of land assessment, policy and regulatory reforms, and any such matters related to just transition of fossil fuel sectors and industries.
Location: New Delhi
Working arrangement: Hybrid
About iFOREST and Just Transition initiative
iFOREST, is an independent non-profit environmental research and innovation organisation. Started by a group of renowned scientists and environmentalists, it seeks to find, promote and scale-up solutions for some of the most pressing environment–development challenges.
Just Transition is a core initiative of iFOREST, complementing our work on energy and climate change. The initiative is designed to support achieving the Paris Agreement goals and an accelerated climate change action that is socially responsible, equitable, and economically viable. In 2021, India’s first comprehensive platform to work on just transition—India Just Transition Centre (IJTC)— was launched by iFOREST. The Centre endeavors to build the just transition discourse in India, and enhance its understanding from the perspective of the global South.
Our work is based on a multipronged approach, including research, policy engagement, public outreach, technical support and capacity building, and building alliances. Our engagement spans across sub-national, national and international levels, and involves a range of stakeholders. The team had published some of the most seminal works on just transition in the context of India’s fossil fuel economy and regions.
About the Role
The successful candidate will be required to undertake rigorous policy research and data assessment related to various fossil fuel industrial sectors. The candidate must be willing to travel, and remain flexible to work around stiff deadlines.
S/be will have the following key responsibilities:
- Conduct in depth policy and regulatory assessments.
- Procure and analyze various land-related data.
- Prepare high-quality reports, research papers, policy briefs, articles, etc.
- Engage with a diverse group of stakeholders (including government officials, public representatives, researchers, media etc.) at the national and state-levels for undertaking research and dissemination of research outputs.
- Organize/convene physical and virtual workshops/seminars/meetings as per requirement of the programme.
- Engage in any other related task as assigned by the reporting head.
Qualification and Work Experience
- Candidates are required to have a background in law, public policy, economics, or related disciplines.
- A minimum of 4-5 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Experience of public policy research.
- Experience of working with big data sets.
- Ability to undertake rigorous data analysis to support policy research.
- Ability to review and analyse regulations, policies, government documents,
- Ability to comprehend interdisciplinary matters.
- Excellent writing skills, with a proven track record.
- Excellent communication skills, and ability to engage with government officials, ministries/agencies, industries and businesses, etc.
- Ability to work and deliver under stiff deadlines.
Competitive salary as per candidate’s experience and proficiency. Final designation of successful candidate will be based on qualification and experience.
Application deadline & instructions
Please send your applications by December 22, 2022. Position open until filled.
We prefer the candidate to submit an online application at https://iforest.global/careers/. In case of any difficulty, you may also send your application to email@example.com. Applications must be accompanied by a CV and a Cover Letter.
Applications must be accompanied by a CV; a Cover Letter (no more than 500 words) and list of referees (at least 2) with contact details. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.