The International Forum for Environment, Sustainability & Technology (iFOREST), a New Delhi-based environmental research and innovation organization, invites applications from experienced legal researcher to undertake review and analysis of relevant statutes, policies, regulatory and institutional frameworks concerning cross-cutting domains of environment and sustainable developmental practices. The successful candidate will be required to support the domain specific teams in their initiatives/projects with the dedicated expertise in the legal research, review and analysis, to help identify and scale up policy-level solutions for addressing the climate crisis, in a sustainable, equitable, and just manner.
Immediate work of the legal researcher would focus on assessing the laws and administrative procedures concerning disposal of non-performing assets and transformation of unsustainable businesses related to the fossil fuel sector, and identifying reform potential of rapid decarbonization.
Work Description & Responsibilities
Successful candidates would be expected to undertake comprehensive set of tasks for executing impactful research, assessment and engagement work across cross cutting segments of environment, including:
- Comprehensive mapping, review and analysis of relevant laws, policies, strategies, schemes of national and sub-national governments.
- Review of legal/official documents, designing frameworks for efficacy and gap assessment
- Research on other jurisdictions for best practices, and lessons.
- Developing and promoting model laws, bylaws, policies and other legal tools to address environmental concerns.
- Writing analytical reports, policy papers, articles suitable for policy and public engagement.
- Engaging with diverse group of stakeholders for research inputs, dissemination of research outputs and for institutionalising best practices.
- Contributing to programme development, including support in development and writing of proposals.
- Any other related assignments as may be entrusted by the reporting authority.
Qualification & Required Skills
Education: Law graduate from a reputed institution. Specialization in environmental law, sustainable development law, or related fields would be an added advantage.
Experience: At least 5 years of full-time experience in legal research and publication of research documents.
- Comprehensive knowledge of existing legal, policy and institutional frameworks pertaining to environment and sustainable development practices.
- Good understanding of the established frameworks and techniques for review and analysis of governance and legal frameworks.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Proficiency in research and writing. Past experience of report writing is required.
- Ability to comprehend, and work on interdisciplinary matters, such as climate change, energy, natural resources, waste etc.
- Ability to engage with a diverse group of people on research and policy issues on multiple platforms.
- Work independently under tight deadlines and guide teams as necessary.
Contract duration: 1 year, which can be extended based on the programme development.
Competitive salary as per candidate’s experience and proficiency.
Application deadline & instructions
Please send your applications by September 15, 2021.
We prefer the candidate to submit an online application at iforest.global/careers/. In case of any difficulty, you may also send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must include a CV and a Cover Letter.
Please ensure that the Cover Letter is no more than 800 words and clearly describes your suitability for the described position and the motivation to join iForest. CVs without the cover letter would not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.